We just sold another boat slip yesterday and my thoughts this morning turn to these boat slips – an interesting part of the Naples real estate market.
Many a boater has ventured to Naples, Florida – and why not? Ocean and back bay fishing abounds with our local snook and grouper fishing bouncing back after some tough game management. Tarpon draws them in internationally. Pompano is our favorite.
Fishing not your thing? Cruising our waters is so popular just 90 miles from Key West, gunk holing in the 10,000 islands, near north trips to the barrier islands of Sanibel, Captiva and Boca Grande. And oh, did I mention on water restaurants, fourth of July fireworks from the pier on the water, wake boarding – ok, ok, you got it.
The first thing we tell boat lover clients here is to “decouple” the location of your property from where you keep your boat. In the good old days you could buy a place with a boat slip but prices have rebounded putting these properties out of reach for some buyers (not all buyers). You can purchase a boat slip separately from your place – live thirty minutes away to save a bundle on your home and still enjoy boating. Here are a few things to think about when buying that slip:
1) Location still matters – due to bridges and no wake zones consider the location of your new slip carefully. If you are an ocean lover you will want to be near the passes and avoid those long wake zones. Who wants to lose 30 minutes of ocean boating every time you go out?
2) Watch the taxes and HOA fees – purchased slips are many times deeded property subject to HOA fees and taxes within communities. Just like any property purchase review the rules and fees before you buy.
3) If dry storage is your thing – understand “time to launch.” If you are here on holidays and weekends or just in a hurry you will not like a long wait for the dry storage facility to launch or store your boat.
4) Is your boat a whale? Some boats do not like out of water storage. Captains will tell you these boats are like a whale on the beach – fine in the water but in dry land their ribs cannot take the weight and pressure – do your homework.
5) If you are in dry storage and have a choice go high – high as in altitude. You cannot imagine how much gunk may land on your boat from boats stored above you.
We are Naples, Florida boaters and love the on water lifestyle. Local fishing, Bahamas and Keys cruising – hard to beat. This week we were ocean fishing and bagged some delicious yellow tail snapper for dinner. Talk to us about Naples, Florida boating – cruising and fishing and we will help you figure out how to include the boating life in your Naples, Florida lifestyle.
And congratulations to our client and new boat slip owner!
We are now offering our Naples Real Estate Study to all of our blog readers. Please go to NaplesBestAddresses.com and register for our newsletter and we will forward a copy to you.
No legal, investment, or tax advice is being given in this Blog. Consult with legal, financial and tax professionals before acting on any real estate transaction. Actual real estate price and sales results are subject to market forces and are not completely predictable. The writings of this Blog are intended for the sole use of our clients.
Some of the data relating to Naples homes for sale and Naples real estate for sale on the NaplesBestAddresses.com website comes in part from the Broker reciprocity program of M.L.S. of Naples, Inc. The properties displayed here may not be all the properties available through the MLS reciprocity Program. This information is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed. Buyers and sellers are responsible for verifying all information about their purchase prior to closing.
Mark Goebel, PA is a REALTOR with Coldwell Banker on 5th avenue in Naples, Florida with 35+ years of visiting and living in Naples. After 25 years at Accenture, Mark retired as a managing director and spends his time helping non profits and building a Naples real estate team with his wife Nan. Talk to Mark and Nan about life in Naples and why they chose this place to live full-time over all others and enjoy Naples real estate.
Mark Goebel, PA REALTOR Coldwell Banker 5th Avenue South Mobile: 239.595.3921 NaplesBestAddresses.com Facebook: NaplesBestAddresses Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/naplesbestaddresses?feature=results_main